Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spare Time Tinkering

Hi all,

Been a little while.  For all that went, I hope the SAA meetings went well.  I had a great time and saw some great new research happening.  This is just a quick post to show what I've been working on in my spare time.  I've been playing around with the flaking sequence for serrated edges somewhat and have met with various degrees of success.  As always, there is still a ton to learn about flaking sequences for making clean serrated points.  All of these points were made with antler tools, no metal as usual.  I have gone through two antler tine pressure flakers so far.  Once the tip has been resharpened too many times you start getting into the pithy part of the antler and the tool becomes useless.  At that time it's best to recycle the antler into a knife handle.

I will be starting up a few more tests in the near future.  Anybody have some high quality basalt they can offer up?  I'm going to do a Samoan stone axe test.

Till then,   

 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment